- 150g self-raising wholemeal flour
- 50g unrefined porridge oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40ml warm water
- 25g melted butter (optional)
- 2 fresh, free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- 15g caster sugar
- 400g punnet of strawberries
- 2 tbs fresh mint, chopped very finely
- Maple syrup
Method1. Mix together the mint and the maple syrup and leave for a few minutes to infuse.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well for the eggs. Break the eggs into the well and then mix together quickly with a metal spoon, gradually adding the milk until you have a smooth batter.
3. Add the warm water and the melted butter. Don't let the mixture rest, use it immediately.
4. Heat a non-stick frying pan and melt a knob of butter in it.
5. Cook 3 to 4 oatcakes at a time at a gentle heat, using a scant tablespoon of batter for each cake — you do not want them too thick and they will rise anyway during the cooking process.
6. Cook for a minute or two until bubbles start to appear and then flip over and cook for a minute on the other side.
7. Serve immediately with the strawberries and the minted maple syrup.